Home Forums Bug reports Linux Tests Failing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by ww2t_Ben ww2t_Ben 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

marco polo
    Participant

Hi All,

I learned of this game in an IRC channel on the SpotChat network. I lost all my SL/ASL games in a flood in 2010. It would be great to play a computer version. However my tests on two distros are failing.

Primary Machine: runs LinuxMint 17.3 with MATE as the desktop environment. I start the game with the following command, the screen blinks and I am returned to the command prompt.

mark@flounder:~/bin/ww2t$ ~/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64
    Found path: /home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Managed’
    Mono path[1] = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Mono’
    Mono config path = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Mono/etc’
    displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
    client has 3 screens
    displaymanager screen (0)(VGA1): 1920 x 1080
    Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
    mark@flounder:~/bin/ww2t$

The machine does not have 3 screens. Basically nothing happens. I will now submit this post then login from the test machine running Fedora 23 XFCE spin.

This portion from Fedora. I followed the same steps on both machine as far as downloading and installing. Downloaded to ~/bin; unzip to ~/bin/ww2t/; chmod +x both executables even though I’m only using the 64 bit version. On Fedora the game starts but when attempt to start a hotseat match no scenarios are found.

[mark@sprat ww2t]$ ~/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64
    Found path: /home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Managed’
    Mono path[1] = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Mono’
    Mono config path = ‘/home/mark/bin/ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/Mono/etc’
    displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
    displaymanager : trying .X11-unix
    client :0 has 1 screens
    displaymanager screen (0): 1920 x 1080
    Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
    [mark@sprat ww2t]$

One note on hardware; I use a KVM switch so both machines are using the same hardware.

-mark

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by  marco polo.
    ww2t_Ben
    ww2t_Ben
    Keymaster

hello,

just a quick answer for now: on your second (fedora) try it looks good. if you enter play mode and choose hotseat you have to create a match first. Go Play Match->Hotseat->Create. only then you will be presented with a list of scenarios. the paths looks correct, please ckeck that the directory …ww2t/ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/fileassets/scenarios contains the 4 scenario files.

let me know if this helped.

ben

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by ww2t_Ben ww2t_Ben.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by ww2t_Ben ww2t_Ben.
    Ravenblodt
    Ravenblodt
    Participant

Hi, Welcome Marco Polo 🙂

I am playing on Mint XFCE 64 bit, and I have had not problems.
    Game runs great for me.

Best regards,

Ravenblodt 🙂

Ravenblodt
    Ravenblodt
    Participant

Hi Marco,

Did you try “Select Scenario” ? Then pressing the scenario you would like
    to play and then pressing “Select Scenario” again.

Best regards,

Ravenblodt

marco polo
    Participant

Yes Ben that has been the menu path I have been following, no scenarios show up at that point.
    On both installations the scenario files are there. Properties show them as plain text, further inspection I see they are xml files.

Trying the 32 bit version gives the same results.

-mark

marco polo
    Participant

Interesting Ravenblodt I didn’t think the DE would make a difference but who knows. I have two other machines I can test on then maybe some virtualbox testing.

-mark

Ravenblodt
    Ravenblodt
    Participant

I unpacked the game, and to start it I simply double click
    the “ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64” icon, and the game starts.
    But by now, I think you are getting the game started, but
    you are not seeing the scenarios ?

-Ravenblodt

ww2t_Ben
    ww2t_Ben
    Keymaster

Yes, Ravenblodt is right, after Match->Hotseat->Create you would have to “Select Scenario” and only then you will see the list of scenarios. Click on one of them and hit “Select Scenario” again, then continue with creating the match (give it a name, create it and then finally(!) you will see your first match in the list you can start. It is too complicated, I have to admit. Reason is that the logic follow the online match creation. It could and should be simplified for hotseat matches in the future. At least with the upcoming release you will see additional information about each scenario while browsing the list (turns, nationalities, victory conditions).

But maybe it has to do with copying the unzipped contents of the file to this “bin” directory under your home directory? Please make sure that the fileassets directory is accessible for the game. For me it is sufficient to unzip the contents of the downloaded ww2t file to my tmp directory, set the executable to executeable and start the game. Just like Ravenblodt said.

marco polo
    Participant

I have the game running on my laptop, LinuxMint 17.3/Cinnamon DE. I think the problem on the LM pc is the three screens being detected. When LM forums come back up I’ll cross post there. Ben see the attached screenshot. It shows the Data directory location. When I get to the select scenario step none are listed.
    Hum, can’t paste an image into a reply, it’s wanting a link.

[mark@sprat ww2t]$ ls -la
    total 46792
    drwxrwxr-x. 3 mark mark     4096 Feb 19 06:13 .
    drwxrwxr-x. 3 mark mark     4096 Feb 19 06:13 ..
    drwxrwxr-x. 8 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 ww2t_0.1.65a_Data
    -rwxrwxr-x. 1 mark mark 23770904 Aug 28 18:06 ww2t_0.1.65a.x86
    -rwxrwxr-x. 1 mark mark 24126040 Aug 28 18:06 ww2t_0.1.65a.x86_64
    [mark@sprat ww2t]$ ls -la ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/
    total 41604
    drwxrwxr-x.  8 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 .
    drwxrwxr-x.  3 mark mark     4096 Feb 19 06:13 ..
    drwxrwxr-x. 10 mark mark     4096 Nov 13 16:23 fileassets
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark    97580 Feb 16 16:50 level0
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark   189792 Feb 16 16:50 mainData
    drwxrwxr-x.  2 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 Managed
    drwxrwxr-x.  5 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 Mono
    drwxrwxr-x.  4 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 Plugins
    drwxrwxr-x.  2 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 Resources
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark 19620816 Feb 16 16:50 resources.assets
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark    28806 Feb 16 16:50 ScreenSelector.png
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark   362412 Feb 16 16:50 sharedassets0.assets
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark 22240340 Feb 16 16:50 sharedassets1.assets
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark     8544 Feb 16 16:50 sharedassets1.resource
    drwxrwxr-x.  3 mark mark     4096 Feb 16 16:50 StreamingAssets
    -rw-rw-r--.  1 mark mark      664 Jun 27  2015 ww2t_config.txt
    [mark@sprat ww2t]$ 

-Mark

ww2t_Ben
    ww2t_Ben
    Keymaster

Yes, ok, could you please drill into the “fileassets” directory and from there into “scenarios” and post its contents?

Thank you for your effort,
    Ben

marco polo
    Participant

Hi Ben, Sorry for the delay, I’ve been on the road all week. Here the drill down listing of Scenarios and the file command on one of the scenarios.

[mark@sprat ww2t]$ ls -alh ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/fileassets/scenarios
    total 444K
    drwxrwxr-x. 2 mark mark 4.0K Nov 13 16:23 .
    drwxrwxr-x. 10 mark mark 4.0K Nov 13 16:23 ..
    -rw-rw-r–. 1 mark mark 95K Nov 22 12:43 GuardsCounterattack
    -rw-rw-r–. 1 mark mark 101K Jan 19 16:09 Rattenkrieg
    -rw-rw-r–. 1 mark mark 175K Nov 22 12:42 StalingradTractorPlant
    -rw-rw-r–. 1 mark mark 57K Nov 22 12:41 ViervilleRetaken
    [mark@sprat ww2t]$ file ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/fileassets/scenarios/Rattenkrieg
    ww2t_0.1.65a_Data/fileassets/scenarios/Rattenkrieg: XML 1.0 document, UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with very long lines

-Mark

ww2t_Ben
    ww2t_Ben
    Keymaster

All looks good, Mark. Hm. It should work. Did you follow my advice to Create a match like this:

Play Match->Hotseat->Create->Select Scenario

Now you should see those 4 scenarios. Click on one of them and hit “Select Scenario” again, then continue with creating the match (give it a name, create it and then finally(!) you will see your first match in the list you can start.

Ben

marco polo
    Participant

Play Match->Hotseat->Create->Select Scenario

And that’s where I see nothing listed…maybe I’ll try joining online games. It really makes no sense.

Interestingly there is a user on SpotChat IRC, #linuxmint-chat that says he’s playing online fine using what Ravenboldt is using.

-Mark

P.S. Plan to post to mint forums too now that they are back up 😉

ww2t_Ben
    ww2t_Ben
    Keymaster

Hello Mark,

ok, yes, that’s were the scenario should show up. Did you just try to unzip the WW2T zip to – let’s say a tmp folder – change the 64bit executable (presumably) to executable and start it? The only reason I can think of is that there is some rights issue in accessing those directories. You will have problems in playing an online match too because matches are loaded and auto-saved from/to the local disk while playing (both players maintain the state of the game at any time). So as long as this issue is not resolved you will not be able to play properly.

Another possibility is that your Linux dist is not compatible with Unity3D – the game engine underlying WW2T. As far as I’m aware it should be fine with Mint – for Fedora I found postings that report problems. And Ravenblodt also confirmed that it is running fine on Mint.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/207249/unity3d-and-linux.html (older post)
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/08/26/unity-comes-to-linux-experimental-build-now-available/

With Mint the only complications seems to be this 3 display issue. Is there something like a virtual desktop (so you can switch between several desktops)? Maybe this leads to problems and could be switched off. I’m just guessing here.. My current Linux testing enironment is simply Ubuntu and Lubuntu, it runs flawlessly just out of the box.

Ben

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.